Orchard House Hotel

orchard house hotel

    orchard house
  • Orchard House is a historic house museum in Concord, Massachusetts. It was the longtime home of Amos Bronson Alcott and family, including his daughter Louisa May Alcott who wrote and set her beloved novel Little Women there.

  • An establishment providing accommodations, meals, and other services for travelers and tourists

  • In French contexts an hotel particulier is an urban "private house" of a grand sort. Whereas an ordinary maison was built as part of a row, sharing party walls with the houses on either side and directly fronting on a street, an hotel particulier was often free-standing, and by the eighteenth

  • a building where travelers can pay for lodging and meals and other services

  • A code word representing the letter H, used in radio communication

  • A hotel is an establishment that provides paid lodging on a short-term basis. The provision of basic accommodation, in times past, consisting only of a room with a bed, a cupboard, a small table and a washstand has largely been replaced by rooms with modern facilities, including en-suite

Milford House Hotel, Milford-on-Sea, Hampshire

Milford House Hotel, Milford-on-Sea, Hampshire

Postally unused.

Milford House is a splendid Georgian house in red brick. The central part is the oldest, with castellated parapet being built in about 1730 for William Rickman. He died in 1764 and William Reynolds became the new owner of the Manor, purchasing more land around the house to make a 14 acre park. He altered the main road so he had continuous views of the Solent and the Isle of Wight. In the 1780's, Edmund Reynolds, son of William, enlarged the house with Adam style wings. The Reynolds left for their Jamaica sugar plantation in the 1820's. Milford House was next occupied by tenants while being owned by Mrs. Whitby of Newlands. Mrs. West (Mrs. Whitby's daughter) inherited it in 1850 and tried unsuccessfully to auction it in 1863, but in 1867 it was purchased by William Talbot Agar who lived there until his death in 1906. Edward Agar resided in Milford House until he died in 1927 and it was sold and became a Hotel but in 1972 it was closed. Several blocks of flats were built on the gardens and the House was also converted into apartments.

The Grade II listings says:
"Original house said to date from 1680 and to have been remodelled by the Adams brothers in the late C18. Consists of a centre part and 2 flanking wings. The centre, and oldest, section of red brick with string course and cornice of Roman cement. Castellated parapet. Tiled roof. 2 storeys, 5 barred sash windows. Doorway with flat canopy. Flanking wings of early Cl9. Red brick and grey headers, once painted. Curved facades and 2 storeys but higher elevation than central section. 3 barred sashes each. Inside, spiral staircase. (N.M.R.). All Saints Church Old Walls, and the Milford House Hotel and Orchard Cottage Greenbanks Close, form a group"



As seen from Terrace Mount. The former Torbay Hotel in another of it's many guises, this time partly given over to the Victory Sports Club.

Marked on the 1870 OS map as Edmondsham Lodge, by the late 1800s it had morphed into Torbay Lodge, a boarding house. It then became the Torbay Hotel for many years but in latter years it has been a series of nightclubs, including K Bar, 2020 and Be Bar. In 2011 it is being converted into flats with commercial units at street level.
Judging by various photos of the building it looks likely that the original Edmondsham Lodge was retained within the fabric of the enlarged structure.

The building on the left is the Edmondsham House flats on the corner of Orchard Street, which is Bournemouth's only 'street'. The Orchard Street area was the town's first working class district where those involved in constructing the buildings in the 1840s and 50s lived to save them having to travel from further afield each day. As the town expanded in the 1860s and 70s further working class, or artisan areas, developed in Springbourne and Winton.

Edmondsham House above, is built on the site of the much earlier Edmondsham Cottage.
I think i'm right in saying that in the 1880s a villa called Edmondsham House was built on the opposite side of Terrace Rd which later became the Bristol Hotel. It stood behind Terrace Cottage / Merville Hotel, on what is now the junction of Terrace Rd and Upper Terrace Rd. It has since been demolished..

orchard house hotel

See also:

mirage hotel las vegas volcano

hotels in walking distance to disneyland

motel akersloot

byblos art hotel verona

hotel la torre palermo

pavillon opera bourse hotel

hotel la solitude lourdes

motels near graceland

hotel canciones del mar costa rica

romantik hotel gmachl